Victoria Falls is the name of a world renowned waterfall and also a town right next to it, in the western part of Zimbabwe, next to the border to Botswana, Zambia and Livingstone. Victoria Falls Zimbabwe is a really great tourist attraction that needs to be considered and since you are reading these lines, you are most likely already interested. Here are some things that will help you plan.
When To Visit Victoria Falls Zimbabwe
Victoria Falls, locally known as Mosikalamosikala (Smoke That Thunders) is truly a wonderful waterfall. Visiting from Zimbabwe is usually more popular. Based on when you visit, you will have different experiences:
- Rainy Season Visit (December to March) – We have a larger water value and the Victoria Falls are more dramatic. It is a certainty that you will end up wet when walking near the site and the big problem is that you may not see the falls because of spray.
- Dry Season Visit (April to October) – We have lower water value and around October you will not see much water. However, the rocky ledge is easier to see, although you will find the falls to be underwhelming.
With all this in mind, your best bet is to visit in November.
How To Reach Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe:
- By Plane – Your best bet is to go from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls Airport.
- By Train – The most common way is to take the train from Bulawayo with second class tickets at 8 dollars and first class tickets at 12 dollars.
- By Car – This is not recommended because of the state of the roads but you can get in from Beit Bridge while the classic road from Bulawayo is filled with potholes. Busses get in 3 times per week from Windhoek.
What Should You See In Victoria Falls
You most likely already saw holiday snaps, film footage or postcards of Victoria Falls. With this in mind, remember that nothing is as breathtaking as actually being there. You have access to the falls and there are so many water and land based activities that will keep you occupied for a couple of days.
Various local tour operators are available and all work on commissions. You might want to talk directly with the service providers in the event that you have time.
Water Based Activities In Victoria Falls Zimbabwe:
- White Water Rafting – A day trip costs around $110. You will experience wonderful rapids for this money, and lunch is eaten right on the water.
- Canoeing – You can relax and see some pretty attractive wildlife. The scenery is stunning.
- Sunset Cruises – Many are available and you will be able to relax in a tremendous location.
Air Based Activities
- Microlight Flights – Only possible on the Zambia side.
- Helicopter Ride – A chopper ride is highly popular at the moment.
Victoria Falls Bridge Activities
- Bungee Jumping – double jumps also available
- Cable Slide – a really cheap activity that gets your blood pumping
- Gorge Swing
- Vic Falls Tram Tour
Victoria Falls Land Based Activities
- A wonderful tea at Victoria Falls Hotel
- Visit Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
- Check out Kingdom Hotel for a wonderful casino experience
- Elephant rides or Horseback safaris
On the whole, Victoria Falls, the Zimbabwe side, is wonderful. Just plan ahead so that you know exactly what to expect.